Next Show: April 20th & 21st, 2018



Home i Event Info i Tickets i Classes i Vendors i FAQ's

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Boy's Chalkboard Travel Box


My son is obsessed with containers. And I mean obsessed. Wherever we go, he finds them. Last week, I took the kids with me to Hobby Lobby. I know, brave right? While walking down the unfinished wood aisle, Littlefoot found a little wood box with a handle. It looked like a lunch box. He begged me to get the box for him. I decided it would make a fun little project for us to work on together, so I caved and bought it.

When we got home, and baby boy was asleep, I whipped out my paint and foam brush. He was very good at not gobbing the paint on and painted very carefully.
 



When he was done painting, he also used his markers and crayons to add some more personal touches. We only painted the outside. He insisted on not painting the inside. That was hard for me to do!

Once the paint was dry, it was mommy's turn. I used paper from the Kidlet stack by Die Cuts With A View and measured out the inside portions for the paper. I used four different patterns; one on the outside, one on the inside bottom and two different ones for the sides on the inner part of the box. They were darling papers with fun patterns and textures. Once adhered, I used some modge podge to seal them up.

For the top inside part of the box, I thought it would be fun to have a little chalkboard for him to use. He's really loved using mine and this way, he could have his own and store the chalk in the box. I used my chalkboard vinyl from Pick Your Plum and measured it out. Bam! Done. I did treat the vinyl by rubbing a piece of chalk over the surface and then wiping off.

Finally, the finishing touches. While at Hobby Lobby, I let Littlefoot pick out a couple of prepainted wood shapes. He has shown a love for space things so he chose the Earth and a rocket. Too cute! I love that boy. I glued those down with wood glue on the top of the box. To complete it, I used sparkly chipboard letters from We R Memory Keepers "Noted" line to spell out his name.




He was so excited to see it the next morning when he woke up. I love that little smile. He's been taking it with him everywhere, including to bed, where he draws his fun chalkboard pictures. The box is great for keeping him busy in the car too.









No comments:

Post a Comment